Saturday, January 26, 2008

Catch Up

Well, it's been awhile since I've made any posts to this blog...guess I should play catch up.

We left Pancho Villa State Park the day after Christmas and moved back to Dreamcatcher RV Park in Deming. We were only going to stay 3 days, but ended up staying 4 when Earl ended up at the emergency room on the night before we were to leave.

We'd gone out to have lunch at Irma's, a Mexican food restaurant (recommended by friends, but we thought the food was only so-so and wouldn't make a special trip to go back). Although Earl and I ate the same thing, he ended up with a bad case of Montezuma's Revenge. If that had all it had been, it would have been OK, but I awoke hearing sounds from the bathroom. When I lifted my head, and saw Maxx sitting up looking toward the bathroom, I got up and found Earl doubled over in pain. Just about that time, he collapsed...that's when I called 9-1-1. Of course, by the time he made it to the hospital, he was just fine, so I probably jumped the gun in calling 9-1-1, but better safe that sorry, I always say! Since we didn't get back home until around 4 AM that morning, we stayed at Dreamcatchers for another day and left on Sunday instead.

Since New Mexico was just too cold for us, we decided to head off to warmer weather. We had considered returning to Arizona, but since it had been quite some time since we'd traveled in Texas, we decided to head there. We thought about going down to the Rio Grande Valley, but we didn't enjoy our stay there during the winter of 2001/2002 (you can read about our stay in the Rio Grande Valley here), so instead, we headed to the Escapees park in Hondo, about 40-some miles west of San Antonio on US-90.

On the way to Hondo, we spent Sunday night, December 30, at the Mountain View RV Park in Van Horn, TX (a Passport America park). Monday night, we stayed at the Marathon Motel & RV Park in Marathon, TX (another PA park), and on Tuesday night, we stayed at the Elks Lodge in Del Rio, TX. We arrived at Lone Star Corral in Hondo on Wednesday and signed up for a month.

(The above picture of the Pronghorn was taken at a rest area along US-90 after we'd left Van Horn. Normally, Pronghorn are very easily spooked, and if they'd been up grazing, would probably have run off when we stopped and got out of the truck. I guess they thought they were well hidden lying down, though!)

We haven't done anything really exciting since we've been here. We did take a trip into San Antonio to do some shopping at Costco, but other than that, we've remained around Hondo (we've already been to the Alamo and did the River Walk back in April can read about that trip here). Hondo has both a nice H.E.B. grocery store and a Super Wal-Mart, so we don't lack for shopping.

Earl did go see a doctor at the medical center here in Hondo when he ended up with a case of UTI. He was given a prescription for an antibiotic (Cipro which is the same thing they give you if you've been exposed to anthrax!), and it seems to be working just fine.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

UTI? Like I am supposed to know what that is. A quick Google resolved the answer.

Enjoy your Texas stay at Hondo. Say "hello" to some of those NH people who usually are there -- like Sherry and Lewis.

Monday, January 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home