Sunday, December 13, 2009

Blazing Star
Mentzelia laevicaulis

We walked over the border again on Friday to pick up our new glasses and Earl's new partial. We had lunch again at the same place as before, and this time I picked up their card so I'd remember the name: El Rancherito Restaurant.

As we were walking back after lunch, I had an unpleasant experience with one of the vendors. Short of walking out in the road, there's no way of walking from one area to another without passing through the vendor areas...there are covers over the sidewalks and vendor booths on both sides, so it's like walking through a cave. The vendors are very aggressive in vending their wares, but up until today, a "no thank you" has been enough to make them back off.

As we were returning to cross the border after lunch, one vendor stuck out a gold necklace for me to "feel." Well, like a fool, I touched it and he immediately took his hand away leaving me holding the necklace. As I tried to give it back, he grabbed my arm and wouldn't allow me to give it back, talking all the time about how bad he needed the money. Earl finally had to intervene to make him unhand me and gave the necklace back to him. The vendor's aggressiveness...way beyond the line...had taken me by surprise, and I was just kind of paralyzed...I was also trying to extricate myself from the situation by remaining polite. However, now that I've had time to think about it, I know what I'll do next time: 1) I won't touch anything offered to me, and 2) if a vendor grabs hold of me, I'll say in a loud voice to take his hands off me, even screaming, if necessary. To hell with being polite!

We left Winterhaven on Saturday and headed to the Costco in El Centro. We had planned on staying at the RV park at the expo center in Imperial, but it had rained recently and the grounds were muddy, so we continued on past Glamis on SR-78 and boondocked off Ogilby Road.

We're back in Quartzsite now, spending a couple of days at Arizona Sun RV Park so that I can do some laundry. On Tuesday, we'll move out to BLM land for a few days. Friends, Mike and Mary (who live across the street from where we used to own a house), are going to be leaving at the end of the week and will be gone through New Years...they've offered their lot to us while they're gone, so we'll move over there once they leave.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I know exactly which vendor you're talking about. He's been there for years. I usually cross the street there to avoid him. And I've been warned by locals not to touch anything that's proferred.

I'm jealous though. We're in New Hampshire, where it has snowed 3 times in the past week. Early this morning we had a burst water pipe and spent most of the day drying out the basement. And now it's raining; the rain is supposed to turn to sleet later. Joy. :-]

Sunday, December 13, 2009  
Blogger Earl and Linda said...

Pat, this was our first time in Algodones and we were not warned about these vendors.

We've been over the border into Palomas, south of Columbus, NM, and into Progresso, south of the RGV, but this is the first time we've run into these types of vendors.

I've learned my lesson, though, and will never touch anything handed to me again! :-)

Monday, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Sharon Del Rosario said...

Linda, Sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way. I always avoid eye contact and any kind of touch on items in Algodones, even those I might have an interest in. These are undoubtedly the most agressive sales people I've ever encountered in Mexico, or anywhere (and I've traveled pretty extensively outside the U.S.). Glad you finally extricated yourself from that 'shark!'

Monday, December 14, 2009  
Blogger owner said...

Sorry about your vendor experience. I just ignore all of them. Did Earl like Gabrillia? We will be at Bouse on Saturday. Maybe we can see you on Sunday as we pass thru to go to Yuma.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009  
Blogger Earl and Linda said...

Donna, Earl did like the dentist.

We're back in Quartzsite already...will be here until after the first of the year. If you're back this way, give us a holler!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009  
Blogger Donna McNicol said...

Just found this blog...today was my third visit to Algodones and I think I know the vendor you were talking about. He kept telling us to feel the weight even if we didn't want to buy. I kept saying thank you, no and kept walking. His aggressiveness made me nervous and I was glad Stu was behind me.

Sunday, January 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home