Monday, November 06, 2006

Well, today has been an interesting day to say the least....we've certainly burned up a lot of minutes on the cell phone!

I ordered a fifth wheel hitch and got auto insurance based on the 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 we'd signed papers for on Friday. Then we got a call from the salesman that the truck -- which had been at another dealer's lot and was to be shipped to the Blythe dealer -- had been sold!!! Talk about having a tight jaw!

The salesman worked all day trying to find us another Chevy truck to meet our specifications, but couldn't find one. He did find one with a crew cab, but we don't want a crew cab -- not only because of the extra length, but also because it has less towing and payload capacity. We told him that if he couldn't find a Chevy, to try and find a Dodge -- which had really been our first choice because of the 4 "real" doors on the extended cab (rather than the "suicide" doors that the other extended cabs have) and because of the Cummins diesel engine. But we'd decided on the Chevy because of the Allison transmission and it's somewhat higher tow and payload capacity.

The problem is -- we now had auto insurance and a fifth wheel hitch (B&W's Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch and their Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch) that wouldn't fit a Dodge truck (the Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch would be OK...it's just the Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch which would be different). The auto insurance I got taken care of without a problem...they just told me to call them with the new truck's information. Whew!

But, by the time I'd remembered about the hitch, it was too late to call the place I'd ordered it from (they're in Louisiana), so I sent them an email. I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow morning to see if the order has been shipped (and, if it has, how to return the Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch) and order a new one.

And then there's the matter of the fifth wheel we were hoping to get...

We finally got all the options straightened out with the dealer, and he got prices from the factory on a couple of items that weren't standard. We then asked the dealer to come up with a price and get back to us. Well, when he called, he gave us a price that was only around 12% off MSRP. We told him the price WE wanted to pay (25% off MSRP), he said "no." So we thanked him, and hung up. Later, we received a call from the salesman (we'd been dealing with another person on all the details of the order...the sales manager, I assume) saying they'd be willing to come down in price...and quoted a price that was around 20% off MSRP. We told him we'd think about it and call him tomorrow.

In the meantime, we've emailed the Excel dealer near Albuquerque, NM with the same list of options and are waiting for a reply from them (we'll give them a call tomorrow). We've also called the salesman we dealt with at Earnhardt's to see if the Carriage Cameo we saw on the lot last week is still there, and, if so, what price he'd sell it for (Earnhardt's is no longer going to be a Carriage dealer, and he told us when we were there that they'd make a good deal on the remaining ones they have left on the lot). The salesman wasn't in today, so we'll talk with him tomorrow.

Wow! Is it nap time yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home